Saturday, May 24, 2014

Day 4 5/23/14- Andor Drives the Van!

Kaaterskill Falls
Today we traveled to Catskill and instead of Micheal driving the van Andor drove the van! First we went to see Thomas Coles' house. I was not able to take any nice photos there because this one old man that was on the tour with us kept getting in the way right as I was about to get in the picture so I just gave up. The tour was nice but it definitely was not the best part of the day. The picture above is a picture of Kaaterskill Falls. We hiked up to the waterfalls. This hike was so much better than the other day because it was mostly up hill and we climbed on rocks and used trees as handles to support us. When we first arrived I was freezing cold but as we started going up towards the falls I became very warm and soon took off my sweater. Getting to the end of the trail and seeing the falls was really amazing. As you can see in the picture the site was astonishing.   
On Top of Kaaterskill Falls Looking Down

Michelle, Kassiana and I on Top of Kaaterskill Falls
 At the end of the trail, Micheal allowed three people to go with him and climb on top of the waterfall. Once I herd this I was instantly in! Michelle, Micheal, Kassiana and I began the very step climb up to the waterfall. While climbing up it was all in the placement of your feet. It seemed like we climbed up so quick and easy. It was so cool being on the top right near the waterfall. While we were up there we could feel the mist coming off and hitting us. It was so refreshing after that tough climb. After we took pictures and admired the scenery I realized it was time to climb back down. Right then and there it hit me that I am afraid of heights. Climbing up was not that bad because you can not see how high you are going, everything is to your back. As we begin our journey back down I was so afraid that I would slip and fall. One portion of the pathway was mostly little pebbles and I was sliding. I was so scared. I may have been the last one to climb back down but at least I did it and faced my fear. Today is just one of the many examples of how doing the discovery degree program will help me get out of my comfort zone and grow as a person. This was truly a great adventure.



After lunch I was already in a great mood and refreshed because I finally got chocolate chip cookies in my packed lunch like I have wanted all week! This just instantly made things better. We then traveled to the Olana Historical Site to see the beautiful house and land that Fredric Church owned during his life. Seeing a house like this was absolutely amazing! I could not believe how big and beautiful the house was. Sadly we were only allowed to take pictures of the outside of the house and could not take pictures on the inside. Church got his inspiration for the house from other countries and would buy so many objects to decorate the house. Another interesting fact is most of the objects in the house were there when Church lived there. As you can see the house was huge! This seemed more like a mansion to me than a house. Church is a creative inspirational person. It is amazing that he planned the house, painting and set up. I was not expecting anything close to this when I first herd of the trip because I never herd of Olana before. Overall today was so much fun and we encountered so many great experiences as a group. I like that we are always with the same people each day. To me it seems like we are all getting closer together. I am really enjoying this program and would recommend it to anyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment