Saturday, June 21, 2014

NYC Blog 3- Liberty Island and Ellis Island

NYC Skyline

The Statue of Liberty
Today we had to get up early which I was not happy about, we had to start the day at 7:45 to load the van. Naturally I am not going to mention any names (cough cough Rose) one of us was late. After this we took the Subway down to South Ferry, the very last stop. When we got there we rushed to get onto the ferry to go to Liberty Island. It was amazing being on this boat and seeing the amazing view of the skyline, from the boat everything looked so beautiful. The Buildings looked absolutely gorgeous which to me seemed to look like Legos. Being far away you can see this city is really beautiful. It's when you are up close walking the streets that the city seems so dirty because of the garbage, It's a shame that people do not have respect for the world around them. You would think they would want to keep their city clean. Approaching Liberty Island was really incredible, as you got closer to the island you can see the true beauty. I have always seen the statue from the far, but never really up close. When I was walking around the island and looking at this incredible monument I just had this feeling inside like I was so touched, it's hard to put into words. While walking around I read a lot of the information located on the island. I learned that the French sculptor, Fedreic Auguste bartholdi designed the statue of liberty as a three dimensional puzzle. Over 300 thin sheets of copper was used to form the satues outer skin, then the finished pieces were sent to the United States to be assembled. The granite pedestal was paid for by private funds from within the United States. It was designed by Richard Morris Hunt and engineered by a civil war general Charles P. Stone. The statue is a great symbol of freedom and is what immigrants would first see coming over on their journey to the United States. Their next stop would then be Ellis Island, which was our next stop. I really like how we visited these places in the same order as the immigrants would.
Registry Room
Ellis Island




 Going to Ellis Island was an amazing experience that I would recommend to anyone. It was amazing to think that my great-grandparents went through the process so many years ago. It really hit me when I was in the registry room because I was seeing it as they were since it was restored to it's original design. When we got to the island, the professors naturally give us an assignment. (haha) The section I was assigned  I enjoyed but I found another exhibit a lot more interesting so I am going to talk about that in my blog since you will hear all about my assigned section in my presentation this week. (thanks again professors lol) The exhibit discussed the process of coming to the island and what they had to go through to become an American Citizen. After the long journey to America they often had to wait to be assessed. The worst was the spring to fall ship system. During this time many would have to wait on a ferry for days until being ferried to Ellis Island. They often did not have food or water on these ferries and were overcrowded. They also lacked adequate toilets and lifesaving equipment. In winters when people were waiting on ships they were cold and in summers it was extremely hot. The next step when they got onto the island was medical inspection. The would put the people in lines and examine the people. If there was something visibly wrong with a person they had different chalk symbols they would mark on them. Medical Inspection was as soon as they were on their way up the stairs to the registry room. Service doctors would watch for people with heart trouble, shortness of breath, or physical disabilities. Other doctors were in the registry room and would watch for people with contagious diseases and mental disabilities. After this they were then piled into the registry room to finally be told whether or not if they could enter the country. They were asked so many questions like if they were married or single and how much money do you have. I found this exhibit incredibly interesting and can go on forever but I think I have explained enough.
Toby and Rose on the Subway 
Being in New York City was an amazing experience. I liked the city and it was a nice place to visit but I do not think I could live their because it is so expensive and I love living in the country like I do now. I am so happy I learned how to use the subway because on school trips I can travel where ever I want to go. On this trip I learned that New York City is more than just Times Square. Whenever I would go on a trip this is all I would see. I saw how each section of the city operates differently, sometimes traveling one block makes a difference. For example in Harlem everyone seemed so friendly and seemed to know each other. The city is not all just big fancy lights and signs that are in Time Square. I really enjoyed this week and was sad when it was over. The only reason I wanted to go home was to see my family. I really wish I could have gone to the subway museum but I couldn't because it was only open 10 am to 4 pm. I guess I can save that experience for another day. In the picture above you can see princess Rose sleeping away on the subway. When I got back I had some time to unpack but then I was off again for my hour and a half ride home. This was just awful after the long van ride but it was worth it to see my siblings. All I can say is this program has allowed me to experience things I have never done before and allow me to grow as a person. This program lets me get over this fear of the unknown that I wrote about in my first blog. I really like this program and I am really sad that we are approaching our last week.





No comments:

Post a Comment