Monday, June 9, 2014

Day 16- 6/9/14 Oak wood Cemetery/ Crematorium

Today was bad from the start. At 7:53 the fire alarm went off when I was trying to be productive in the morning and it really ruined my morning. The worst part is we did not pass because three people decided to stay in their rooms when they were not suppose to. Then we were late to our first stop at the cemetery. We then later found out there was a Hindu cremation going on so we could not get the tour we were scheduled to get. This day was just rough from the start.
Uncle Sam Marker
Uncle Sam Burial Site


 Even though we were able to see Uncle Sams burial site during our orientation weekend it was really cool to be able to see it again. Uncle Sam is so well known in troy it is nice to know that he is buried close by. I like how the grave had American Flags near it, it really symbolizes his involvement and decorates his grave. After seeing the grave I some how managed to break Andor's Umbrella. I did not mean to break it and I felt awful. I planned on buying him a new one until it decided to start working again.
Gravestone with Fern 
While we were driving around the cemetery Michael was explaining that different objects such as ferns on a gravestone represent something. While conducting research I found it was very popular in the 1850s to the 1890s. This plant was put onto gravestones to represent beauty and represented humility.
Model of Crematorium
Inside the Crematorium

Next we were allowed to go into the crematorium because the service finished just as we were about to leave. We did not get the full tour and we did not recieve as much information about the crematorium as we did during orientation but it was nice to see the inside of the building again. I think this building is so beautiful inside and was happy to see all the windows. After this we went back to Sage for lunch and went to our appointment at the historical society.

Popcorn Popper
Once we got to the historical society we were able to pick up and look at the artifacts we signed up for last time. I chose to research the popcorn popper above. I really enjoyed being their more this time because it was much more hands on and we were allowed to touch artifacts while wearing gloves. We had to take pictures of our object and prepare for our final drafts of the artifact for the collection that will be displayed. I thought this was really fun and felt like a researcher while examining my artifact. I cannot wait for the final project to be done because I am sure everyone will do an excellent job!

No comments:

Post a Comment